The following are resources provide background on the NNER’s mission, and the Agenda for Education in a Democracy and examples of implementation in diverse settings. Members are encouraged to use these with informal book groups, in courses, and for professional development.
The Goodlad Occasional Papers
Articles and Speeches
- Life on the Borderlands: Action Research and Clinical Teacher Education Faculty
- Participatory Action Research and the Quest for Teacher Educator Community Solidarity
- Can Democrats and Republicans find perfect happiness together?
Books and Publications
- League of Democratic Schools, November 2008
- Feasibility Study of the Arts and Sciences
- Hybrid Educators and the Simultaneous Renewal of Schools and the Education of Educators
Setting Renewal Session
An Initiative Sponsored by the Institute for Educational Inquiry and Funded by the Carnegie Corporation of New York
Curriculum for Orientation and Renewal
This curriculum includes background information on the program, examples of agendas (including the sample agenda that was given to each setting to adapt to local needs and sample agendas from some of the participating settings), a variety of small group activities that can be used to facilitate the conversations, the recommended reading material for a two-day session, examples of additional reading materials that address current issues and application of the NNER mission, resources that can be used to provide a context for conversations about the mission, and examples of options for facilitating the sessions.
All material in the curriculum is intended for copying and adaptation by the settings. You may download the Adobe PDF version below: